Visits of dignitaries and other high-profile guests to the university present important and memorable opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to engage in stimulating intellectual exchanges with important local, national, or international figures.
Many elements must be considered when a high-profile visitor comes to campus. The university also has an institutional interest in ensuring these events are successful while not impacting the daily activities of the university. These visits often require broader coordination with multiple university units and usually require special arrangements related to additional security, venue access protocols, and, in some cases, broader coordination with outside law enforcement officials and agencies. Ensuring the safety of our community and the ability to accomplish its research and teaching mission are critical elements for the university when planning visits of this type.
The proposal form must be completed prior to extending an invitation and:
- Requests should be submitted at least four (4) weeks prior to the potential visit.
- No visits should be planned the week before or week of university final exams and Big 5 events.
Big 5 Events: New Student Orientation, Reunion Homecoming, Family Weekend, Admit Weekend, Commencement Weekend.
- The university president reserves the right to provide final approval for any incumbent head-of-state visit to campus.
- Before submitting a proposal, requestor(s) should review the Stanford Event Organizer Requirements policy.
- Once received, a member of the Office of Special Events & Protocol (OSEP) will set up a time to review the proposal with the requestor(s).
- It will be reviewed by the University Events & Policy Committee (UEPC), a university organization sanctioned by the Office of the President and Provost.
The form requires a SUNet ID login. If you have difficulty accessing the linked proposal form, please contact our office.
Critical university event policies
For additional questions about this form, advisory, strategic event planning and support please contact:
Executive Director, Office of Special Events & Protocol