Policy Regarding Use of the Main Quadrangle & Memorial Court
The Main Quadrangle (aka “Quad”) and Memorial Court are part of Stanford University's academic preserve. This space includes all sidewalks, steps, gateways and pathways that border and provide entrance and exit pathways to this important university historical area. Due to its location, at the heart of the Stanford campus, and to protect and enhance its historic status, university policy limits activities in this area to established or traditional university ceremonies and events.
Stanford University is private property and The Main Quad and Memorial Court areas, its entrances and pathways represent the formal academic image of the University, leading directly to its departments, classrooms and other academic space, faculty and graduate student offices.
Established major university ceremonies and events that are held in the Main Quad and Memorial Court include those related to: New Student Orientation, Family Weekend, Admit Weekend, Commencement Weekend, Reunion Homecoming, and Founders’ Celebration related events.
The Main Quad is considered a pedestrian zone and appropriate use of its space includes walking, reading, and other limited use of the area such as academic class gatherings. Activities such as demonstrations, rallies, dances, performances, and flyer distribution may, with permission, take place in White Plaza, including those that may involve amplified sound. Weddings and memorials are not allowed in this area, but may, under certain circumstances, take place in Stanford’s Memorial Church.
Other general usage requirements and restrictions
- Commercial and wedding related photography is strictly prohibited on the university campus and the Main Quad area in particular.
- Commercial filming without prior permission is prohibited.
- Please note that campus restrooms are NOT available for tour group use.
- The buildings in and around the Main Quad are offices and classrooms and are not open to the public.
- Smoking near campus buildings and entrances is prohibited.
- Posting of signs, banners, distribution of flyers, chalking and other means of advertisement, commercial or otherwise, are prohibited in or around the Main Quad, its entrances, buildings, arcades or brick grounds throughout the area.
- Vehicle or other structural displays are not permitted.
- As a vehicle-exclusion zone, only motorized service vehicles with university authorization may enter open areas.
- No drones or unmanned flying vehicles of any kind are allowed.
- No amplified sound or equipment.
- Cooking of any is strictly prohibited without official permission.
- All of the arcades must be clear and open at all times.
- Bicycle and skateboard parking is prohibited.
- Please note that other venues on campus, such as White Plaza are made available for events other than scheduled "established or traditional ceremonies and events".
- Overnight camping and tents are not allowed.
Requests for waivers to reserve either the Main Quad and/or Memorial Court must be submitted at least 60 days in advance and in writing to the Office of Special Events & Protocol at: (650) 724-1387 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Exceptions may be granted only in extraordinary cases.
The information on this website is meant as a general overview. Please be sure to read and understand the full policy documents for all of the policies that may apply to your event. Please also be sure to check for important announcements and updates that may impact events on campus. If you have questions, please contact us.