At the Oval, Main Quad and Pasteur Drive
Stanford University is private property and has the legal authority to govern the operation of motor vehicles on its campus which includes that of tour and charter buses.
Tour or charter operators found in violation of Stanford parking policies and/or failing to adhere to its tour bus protocol will be cited and/or towed, may be banned from Stanford property, and may face legal action from the university.
Rules governing tour and charter buses
Tour groups or charter buses with of 9 or more people must register to visit campus.
Tour buses are authorized to load and drop off passengers only at the bus loading zone on Roth Way between Palm Drive and Lomita Drive.
Tour buses, charter buses, shuttle buses, passenger vans, limousines and town cars are prohibited from stopping or parking on the Oval at any time. This restriction applies to all designated parking areas, commercial loading zones (yellow curbs); Stanford Marguerite bus stops and fire lanes (red curbs).
Tour buses, charter buses, shuttle buses, passenger vans, limousines and town cars cannot stop, idle, or park on Pasteur Drive east of Welch Road at any time. This restriction applies to all designated parking areas, commercial loading zones (yellow curbs); Stanford Marguerite bus stops and fire lanes (red curbs).
Please note when touring the campus:
- The buildings in and around the Main Quad are offices and classrooms, which are not open to the public.
- No smoking, congregating, commercial photography without authorization, or noise by tour groups is allowed in and around the Main Quad, Memorial Court and Memorial Church areas.
- Policy violations are subject to citation, towing, a tour bus/operator ban from Stanford property, and legal action.
- Blocking any commercial loading zones, fire lanes and other red zones is prohibited by law and vehicles will be cited or towed.
- Please note that campus restrooms are NOT available for tour group use.
PLEASE NOTE: Free shuttle service is available on campus. Stanford’s Marguerite shuttle system is free and open to the public, providing shuttle service around campus and to nearby communities and transit. Refer to the "Event parking and Marguerite shuttle service" map.
Rules governing tour groups (tour bus operators are responsible)
Stanford University requires all group tour and tour bus operators, and their individual visitors, to observe Stanford’s Tour Visit Policies.
Questions regarding this policy or general tour bus access to Stanford can be directed to Stanford Transportation at (650) 498-7882 or firstname.lastname@example.org.