With the exception of construction food trucks, mobile food vendors may only sell at times and campus locations approved by the Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs, Stanford Transportation and Department of Public Safety. Campus locations generally include the area encompassing Stanford's academic and residential community and all roads and parking lots which serve buildings occupied by primarily Stanford faculty, staff or students. Campus does not include parking lots exclusively serving buildings largely occupied by university lessees, such as Stanford Hospital, LPCH, Stanford Shopping Center and Stanford Research Park.
In order to meet university requirements for Mobile Food Vendors, food trucks must be engaged through Off the Grid. In addition to the requirements listed on the Mobile Food Vendors policy, all food trucks visiting campus through Off the Grid are required to have a fire inspection from the university Fire Marshal's Office.
Lead time should be a minimum of two weeks to arrange for an appropriate food truck and parking location. You must receive permission from Stanford Transportation for your planned parking site no later than 3 days in advance and preferably more.
Planning tips from Off the Grid
- Minimums: Food trucks requested for special events typically require a minimum charge of $1,500-$3,000 which covers prep-time, travel and basic operating costs.
- Trash: Vendors are generally equipped with waste bins (recycling, compost and landfill) so you can expect them to remove their own waste. Generally they do not have additional staff to bus and clean the dining space.
- Signage: Each vendor has a unique approach to menu display with may include an 8.5" x 11" print out, chalkboard or magnet strip. The sponsor may want to print up some large format custom menus to create consistency for its event.
- Logistics: Food trucks will generally arrive 30 minutes to one hour before service starts and will leave soon after the event is over. The trucks are roughly 25' long by 8' wide.
- Vendor booking process: Each vendor is a small, independently owned business so there is not a master schedule showing all food truck availability. It is best for you to identify a few options and be flexible with your exact selection. In order to book a truck, please contact Off the Grid.
- Cancellation: Sponsors should not cancel their commitment at the last minute. These are small businesses that rely on your business. Be considerate and meet your commitments.